- AI Medical Service Inc.
- Development of endoscopic AI (artificial intelligence) to support diagnostic imaging
- Tomohiro Tada
- Hareza Tower 11F, 1-18-1 Higashi-ikebukuro, Toshima-ku, Tokyo 170-0013, Japan
- September 1, 2017
- Number of employees
(incl. directors, interns)
- 90 (as of September 2023)
- 13.8 billion yen (including reserves)
- Acquired External Certification
- ISO27001（November 2022）
- Hareza Tower 11F, 1-18-1 Higashi-ikebukuro, Toshima-ku, Tokyo 170-0013, JapanAccess Map
- US Branch
- New York
- 9th Floor- Chrysler Building, 405 Lexington Ave., New York, NY 10174 USAAccess Map
- Singapore Branch
- 378 Alexandra Rd, Block 29 Level 1 CIH Co-Working Space, Singapore 159964 Access Map
Four minute walk from the east exit of Ikebukuro Station (JR Line / Tokyo Metro Marunouchi Line, Yurakucho Line, Fuku-Toshin Line / Seibu Ikebukuro Line / Tobu Tojo Line)
- Founding of AI Medical Service, Inc.
- Developed the world’s first AI for gastric cancer detection using still images
- Raised funds during a series A round
- Developed the world’s first AI for esophageal detection using still images
- Developed the world’s first AI for esophageal detection using videos
- Raised funds during a series B round
- Received designated breakthrough device designation from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for our endoscopic system
- Awarded “EY Innovative Startup 2020”
- Demonstrated that AI for gastric cancer detection significantly outperforms endoscopists in terms of sensitivity
- Awarded “Fifth JEITA Venture Award”
- Relocated our headquarters to Hareza Tower
- Awarded Grand Prix in the Co-Creation PARK section on “CEATEC AWARD 2020”
- Demonstrated that endoscopists using AI during review of esophageal cancer videos results in increased sensitivity without decreasing specificity
- Selected for the “Innovation TOKYO Project” by the Bureau of Industrial and Labor Affairs of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government
- Designated as "Google for Startups Accelerator Class 3" by Google
- Finalized a joint research agreement with The National University Hospital, Singapore
- Launched "gastro AI Online,” a resource for the latest information in endoscopic AI
- Designated a “Technology Pioneer” by the World Economic Forum
- Received confirmation that our products comply with the IEC62304 and IEC62366-1 standards for medical devices
- Applied for regulatory approval for our first product, a device that supports doctors in the classification of gastric cancer
- Selected as a "J-Startup company" expected to expand business globally
- Established a US branch in Silicon Valley as a first global base
- Raised funds during a series C round from Softbank Vision Fund 2 etc.
- Established a Singapore branch as a second global base
- Established a US branch in New York as a second US base
AI Medical Service by the numbers
Funding Amount (B Yen)
Number of employees
Number of Countries※Contact with medical institution settled or under negotiationHQ/Branch: Tokyo, New York, Singapore
Tomohiro Tada CEO
Dr. Tomohiro Tada is the CEO of AI Medical Service Inc., the director of “Tada Tomohiro The Institute of Gastroenterology & Proctology”, and a part-time lecturer at the Department of Surgical Oncology, Graduate School of Medicine at The University of Tokyo.
Dr. Tada received his M.D. in 1996 and Ph.D. in 2005 from The University of Tokyo School of Medicine. He trained in colorectal surgery at The University of Tokyo Hospital
Japan Surgical Society
Japan Society of Coloproctology
Japan Gastroenterological Endoscopy Society
Japan Society of Gastroenterology
Yusuke Kato Director & CTO
Yusuke Kato became a director of AI Medical Service, Inc. in December 2019. He joined the company in 2017 because he was fascinated by the earliest forms of Deep Learning technology. Earlier on, he worked in domestic PC manufacturing company before moving to Fixstars Corporation. Previously, he engaged in the development of video encoders and 3D ray tracers using GPGPU technology.
He earned a bachelor’s degree in science from the University of Tokyo.
Akitoshi Yoshioka Director & CFO
Akitoshi Yoshioka was appointed to the board in December 2019.
After working at the audit corporation Tohmatsu (currently Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu, LLC), he joined PKSHA Technology Inc. There, he lead the company to a listing on the TSE Mothers market as director and general manager of the business management division,
Hidenari Takahashi Executive Officer & Division Manager, Product Design, Development and Manufacturing Division
Hidenari Takahashi worked for 20 years at medical device manufacturers engaging in product planning, design development, manufacturing, quality assurance, medical affairs.
Hidenori Tanaka Executive Officer & Division Manager, Medical Regulatory Management
Hidenori Tanaka worked for chemical campany and foreign medical device company engaging in product development, manufacturing, evaluation, quality assurance, clinical development, regulatory affairs, delivery, sales, etc.
Kenji Yoshida Head of Global Business
Kenji Yoshida founded a startup in US and expanded its business in US, Japan, Asia, Europe as COO. After returning back to Japan, he initiated global digital health business at Allm Inc..
Hiroki Kanai Head of Corporate Planning
After engaging in management consulting at Mitsubishi Research Institute Inc., Hiroki Kanai joined Rakuten and built several group strategies as office manager of group strategy office.
Head of Business Development
Throughout his professional career, Masaki Naruke has consistently worked in sales, marketing, and business development in the medical device industry. He has experiences of global marketing and medical device development at Boston Scientific's headquarters in the USA.
Takashi Hamada Director, Audit & Supervisory Board Member
Takashi Hamada is a certified public accountant, appointed as a member of the Audit and Supervisory Committee of the AI Medical Service in 2019. Previously, he was engaged in accounting audits, internal control construction support, IPO support, and financial accounting advisory at a major audit corporation.
Jun Yokohama Outside Director
Graduated from the University of Tokyo, Faculty of Economics, and the University of Chicago Booth School of Business, USA. After working for The Hokkaido Takushoku Bank, Ltd., Partner of Boston Consulting Group, Senior Executive Officer of Fast Retailing Co., Ltd., and President and CEO of Bushu Pharmaceuticals, he became an Executive Officer of Ryohin Keikaku Co., Ltd. He has extensive management experience and has been an outside director of AI Medical Service Inc., since November 2021.
Satoshi Fukushima Outside Director
Satoshi Fukushima was appointed as an outside director of this Company. He joined Globis Capital Partners & Co. in 2014. Prior to joining Globis, he engaged in M&A advisory and financing at the Deutsche Securities Inc and Investment Banking Headquarters. He earned a master’s degree in Economics at the University of Tokyo.
Masataka Matsumoto Outside Director
Masataka Matsumoto joined as the outside director of the AI Medical Service in 2019.
Previously, he collaborated with other businesses to set up many joint ventures, founding WiL in 2013. He founded PIM Corporation in 1999 and as CEO directed its merger with Yahoo! JAPAN in 2000.
Hiroshi Sensaki Outside Director
Graduated from the University of Tokyo (BA in Economics). He was engaged in principal investments at the Asian Special Situations Group of Goldman Sachs Tokyo. After founding startups and managing companies overseas, he joined SoftBank Group in 2019, and SoftBank Investment Advisers (Vision Fund) in 2022. He was appointed as an outside director of the Company in May 2022.
Yusuke Murata Outside Director, Audit & Supervisory Board Member
Yusuke Murata was appointed as an officer in 2018, and also has been an investor in AIM since its inception. In 2017, he received No. 1 ranking on Forbes Japan's "Ranking of the Most Influential Venture Investors in Japan.” He established Incubate Fund in 2010.
Hidekazu Suzuki Outside Director, Audit & Supervisory Board Member
After serving as an outside director and corporate auditor of several companies, Hidekazu Suzuki became a director and member of AI Medical Service’s audit and supervisory committee in 2018. He was president of Arbeit-Times Co., Ltd.
Feel free to contact us using the form below regarding joint research,
media coverage, business partnerships, or related opportunities.